If your Cholesterol is high, it could be a good sign

Standard

As you know, many people (from children to older people) are on Cholesterol medicine. You can see Crestor (rosuvastatin, AstraZeneca) is 2nd in the Top 100 Prescription drug sales (in quantity) list below.

sales

This is a data from a research firm IMS.  12-month history of prescription numbers and total sales from April 2014 through March 2015.(Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844317)

The graph from Health, United States, 2010 report below shows Statin (Cholesterol medicine) usage from 1988-2008. Combine the 45+ age groups and both genders, and it comes out that one in four Americans, ages 45 and older, are taking a statin. There are roughly 127 million Americans over age 45. (Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/statin-use-is-up-cholesterol-levels-are-down-are-americans-hearts-benefiting-201104151518 – Believe that it should be “past 30 years” not “30days”)

statin

This is a stunning number because it shows that a large number of medical doctors believe that prescribing cholesterol medicine is helping their patients. You would say, yes, that’s what a doctor is supposed to do. However, now research is finding that Cholesterol isn’t the primary factor of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD). In fact, the US Department of Health’s Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee reversed its previous ruling on cholesterol this year, announcing that “Available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, “and “cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.”

On average, we have between 1,000 and 1,700 mg of cholesterol in our bodies, and our liver produces 75% of our cholesterol and the other 25% comes from our diet. Also, our body naturally regulates the amount of cholesterol in it at any given time. When we ingest more cholesterol from food, the body produces less. On the other hand, when our cholesterol intake is low, the body makes more. Therefore, dietary cholesterol has virtually no effect on our blood cholesterol levels.

We had been told that Cholesterol is our enemy, but that statement is completely wrong and actually cholesterol is essential for our health! Cholesterol is particularly important for cognitive function. Your brain makes up only 2% of body weight but contains 25% of the body’s cholesterol. It is critical for synapse formation, i.e. the connections between your neurons, which allow you to think, learn new things, and form memories. So, cholesterol deficiency is linked to a decline in cognitive function and memory. Low levels of HDL cholesterol has been linked to memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease, and may also increase your risk of depression, stroke, violent behavior, and suicide.

In addition, cholesterol is the building block for every single known sex hormone. That includes estrogen, testosterone, progesterone. Cholesterol is also a key player in bile acid production. Bile acid helps your body regulate fat, cholesterol, and glucose metabolism. It’s also required for you to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Moreover, without sufficient amounts of cholesterol, your digestive system can be adversely affected.

It’s also important for the production of vitamin D, which is vital for optimal health. When sunlight strikes your bare skin, the cholesterol in your skin is converted into vitamin D. It also serves as insulation for your nerve cells.

After all, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, the Scottish doctor who wrote The Great Cholesterol Con says, “if you have a high cholesterol level, you will live longer. Equally, if you have a low cholesterol level, you will die younger”. The older you become the more beneficial it is to have a high cholesterol level. –

So, if you have high cholesterol, please say NO to cholesterol medicine if your doctor prescribes based on just the number. Also it is time to question about the quality of medical service your primary doctor is giving you.

I will discuss about causes of heart disease, prevention, and medication in the following newsletter.

Source:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/japanese-research-exposes-statin-scam-people-with-high-cholesterol-live-longer/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/07/saturated-fat-cholesterol-heart-disease.aspx

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/why-doctors-finally-called-a-truce-on-cholesterol-in-food/

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s